About Nativity BVM High School

Nativity BVM High School’s
Mission Statement

Nativity BVM High School is a Catholic Christian community dedicated to meeting and enriching the life needs of its individual students through spiritual direction, quality academics, community service, social responsibility, aesthetic, and athletic development in order to prepare its graduates to meet all of life's challenges.

History of Nativity BVM High School

In 1927, Father Edward L. Gatens, pastor of Saint Patrick Church, Pottsville, PA, planned the building of Pottsville Catholic High School. On October 15, 1928, His Eminence D. Cardinal Dougherty, dedicated the new combination high school and grade school building, situated at Seventh Street and Howard Avenue. During the twenty-seven years of its existence, Pottsville Catholic High School, with the Sisters of St. Joseph as faculty, as well as St. Stephen High School, served as the center of Catholic secondary education in this region.

The constantly increasing enrollment made a new building imperative, and Monsignor John E. Boyle was commissioned by Archbishop John O’Hara to purchase ground for a new diocesan high school. The site was built and ready for occupancy in September, 1955. The school, placed under the patronage of Our Lady, was called Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary High School.

Archbishop John O’Hara dedicated Nativity BVM on Saturday, April 14, 1956, and the Reverend John J. Nugent served as its founding principal.

Principals Years of Service
Rev. John J. Nugent 1955-1967
Rev. Joseph T. Gilmore 1967-1969
Rev. John A. Rusek 1969-1970
Rev. Joseph D. Hulko 1970-1977
Rev. Leo F. Lenick 1977-1978
Rev. John V. Egan 1978-1982
Rev. Stephen L. Maco 1982-1991
Rev. Anthony P. Mongiello 1991-1992
Rev. Msgr. Ronald C. Bocian 1992-1999
Rev. Ronald V. Jankaitis 1999-2008
Mr. Bruce Hess 2008-2009
Mrs. Lynn A. Sabol 2010-Present